Monday, May 5, 2008

All Things Drew




Okay, I'm going to do it. I'm going to dedicate an entire post to my youngest child. I can't believe how quickly he's growing up and how fast he is acquiring new skills and abilities! It is certainly a bittersweet thing to watch your children grow up. On one hand, I am amazed and so thankful for a healthy, smart and funny little guy. But, as he becomes more independent and develops his language and motor skills, I feel a tiny ache in my heart. It seems like there are so many "last times" in his life. You know, last time for a bottle, last time in this carseat, last time in the crib, last time for this toy, last time in the highchair... Sadly, I am clinging to his babyhood because I know that very soon (whether I like it or not) I will have to admit that he is no longer a baby. He is very much a toddler. I passed by the baby section in Target the other day and actually felt a little sad as I realized that the ONLY thing I still need from that section is diapers. So, here I stand with one very stubborn foot in the baby stage and one very tentative foot in the grade school stage. I look at the current baseball games, spelling lists, reading books, soccer games, sleepovers and endless questions and realize that even though "the best is yet to come", I don't know if anything can top these baby years for me! Hey, I never proclaimed to be good with change!!!
Here are a few of Drew's latest moments. I hope you enjoy them.

2 comments:

jj said...

It is depressing, isn't it? I have been having a rough week, after selling Emma's crib at our garage sale. But look around at the world. There are very many well-adjusted, happy people who have raised children beyond babyhood. It is not the end of the road. Life is good, right? Just yesterday at church I talked to a mom of adult children. She had a 1 p.m. reservation at a seafood restaurant in Maryland, on the water, an hour drive away from here. I was so jealous. I must say, I think life goes on after our kids grow up. But, it is soooooooooo hard to face the future without babies. Sniff sniff. Come to my house so we can cry together.

jenny said...

I hear you, too...loud and clear. But I loooooove the train picture...reminds me that that is coming with Isaac someday. The fact that he will one day be entertained by putting trains together as opposed to being entertained by climbing ON the table....now that is a future I can rejoice in!! But then there's the sleeping picture....oh to think of no more snuggly babies...must stop there or I will bring tears!