Monday, March 17, 2008

Girlfriends





The words from the "Cheers" theme song come to mind. "Sometimes you want to go where everybody knows your name, and they're always glad you came..."
Last weekend, I took a camera shy Dawn (not pictured) and Kim and met up with a group of girls from "up North". I can't begin to express what therapy it was for me to be with very good friends again. It has been very lonely here in a new town. It takes a lot of effort and time to build friendships. Lately, I feel like life is a long line of introductions. Hello, my name is Jill, I have four kids, yes...they are ALL boys, blah blah blah. I had no idea how completely relaxing and wonderful it would be to just "be myself" with good friends. You forget how important it is to just have a history with someone. I slept little, laughed hard and cried even harder at the thought of saying good-bye again. We all went to a conference for moms called, "Hearts at Home." I could write an entire page on the conference. It was very affirming and encouraging. I picked up some great advice on every topic from marriage and parenting to cleaning and organizing better. My highlight was meeting the author of a book I've had for 9 years about moving. How appropriate (as I'm currently clinging to her book) that I would have the chance to tell her thank you for being obedient to God and writing it. I got to room with my very dear friend, Jenny. We shared some big laughs and a slightly uncomfortable bed with a large mirror for a headboard. It doesn't get any funnier than that! I guess despite the tears over parting once again, I can say that I have a deeper appreciation for friendship. I feel blessed to have people in my life (even though they are far away) that know me very well and love me anyway. And as I ponder the fascinating concept of friendship, I am reminded that this kind of love from 'sisters' is only possible because of the amazing love of the One that created us. We love because he first loved us! 1 John 4:19 I love you, friends, and I already miss you!

5 comments:

jenny said...

Oh Jill...that is so well put...and may I say that God has loved me so fully...through you. Your friendship is such a blessing to me...and my family...you make me laugh so much more. On a really bad day...I just think, I have got to get on the phone because Jill will get the humor in this situation that I am currently not finding. It is certainly nice to have someone else "get" us...because let's face it...somedays are husbands certainly don't!

It was so nice to see you again...it just wasn't long enough.

And I'm amazed at your speedy delivery of this post...now who's the queen of bloggerdom, eh?

Jenny Mitchell said...

Jill,

Thank you so much for that post, it was a blessing to read. As I am on this path of self discovery, your post also helped me to realize I don't have what you are so blessed to have. I don't have good girlfriends. Of this is my own doing. I keep people at arms length. I am afraid to disappoint anyone, so all anyone has ever known about me to date is I am a strong, working mom, who volunteers at church and battles cancer. An inspiration to most, but would they really feel inspired if the knew, I cried in the bathtub often, angered easily, and yelled at me daughter when she was whiney because I just couldn't be strong for everyone. It is a very alarming and difficult time when your true self is revealed. Its not that I am not strong, I think I am, but I have so many moments of weakness, that I always keep hidden because I don't want to disappoint anyone. This has prevented me from really getting close to anyone, and lets face it, a girl needs girlfriends. You are so blessed. I can only pray that God help me tear down these walls I have built, so I may experiance the love of friendship, that can only happen when you are completely unguarded.

Thank you again for your post, it was truly an eye opening inspiration.

God Bless you Jill,

Jenny

jj said...

Jill, Who knew Mary Gleason would hook you up with a book to change your life? I'm glad you had a refreshing weekend. Thanks for calling me and cheering me up during my flu marathon. You are the only one who really makes me laugh. People are stupid for not knocking down your door begging for your friendship!!! Love you, JJ

kim said...

Hey, Girlfriend! I am impressed! Wow! You posted already. I had a blast travelling to and from Bloomington with you and Dawn. Could have kept going and talked all night, only I'm sure you wouldn't want to drive all night... and you wouldn't want me behind the wheel. I might fall asleep. By the way, you ask great questions. It's easy to keep a conversation going with you.
Love ya fellow moving Mom!
Kim
P.S. Keep Your Chin Up!

Lisa said...

Jill,
Hey! New pictures of my old friend Zach!! I love it! Found you thru Jenny's & Kim's blogs. So glad I found you! Miss your precious family at church. Has not been the same without the Winslows & Brannons. :( Love all the photos of your precious boys. Hugs to you!!!